About Accion Opportunity Fund
Accion Opportunity Fund is a financial support system for small businesses that advances racial, gender, and economic justice for all.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an unparalleled financial support system that provides small businesses owners in the US with access to capital, networks, and coaching.
Small business owners uplift communities and anchor local economies, while creating opportunities for themselves, their families, their employees, and our neighborhoods. Yet entrepreneurs who are people of color, women, and immigrants often struggle to secure capital and resources, as they are systematically shut out from traditional financing. In 2020, Accion Opportunity Fund was formed as Accion U.S. Network and Opportunity Fund came together. Together, we fight for an inclusive and accessible financial system so small business owners of all identities can thrive.
At Accion Opportunity Fund we work closely with small business owners to provide them with fairly priced loans, educational resources, coaching, and support networks in English and Spanish. Opportunity Fund still remains the lending arm of Accion Opportunity Fund.
For over 25 years, we have served a client base that is nearly 90% women, people of color, or immigrants. Our clients’ businesses have historically had a 96% survival rate, compared to the national small business survival rate of 50%.
These small business owners have so often been shut out of traditional financing. We provide fast, personalized services to support them as they grow towards sustainability. We offer our services across the nation, so that small businesses can reach us regardless of where or who they are. As our work continues and small business owners continue to grow their impact we are a force for good, for equality, and a just economy for all.
Accion Opportunity Fund is known for a highly personalized approach to working with clients. We’ve translated our high-touch, on-the-ground experience into a seamless and personal digital experience. Over 40% of American small businesses have been put at risk during the COVID crisis, and the groundwork we had already laid has put us in a position to support them. Small business owners work hard to be there for their communities. They keep showing up during the hardest of times, so we’re working just as hard to deliver the financing and support they need.
- Esteban Altschul, Chief Operating Officer, Accion
- Greg Avis (Chair), Managing Partner, Bangtail Partners
- Todd Baker, Managing Principal, Broadmoor Consulting
- Swati Bhatia, Partner and Head of Direct to Consumer Business, Goldman Sachs
- Phil Black, Co-Founder, True Ventures
- Dickson Chu, CEO, Copper Inc
- Caretha Coleman, CEO, Coleman Consulting
- Solana Cozzo, SVP, Global Debit Product Mgt, Mastercard
- Joni Cropper, Cropper Family Fund
- Debra Engel, Engel Family Fund
- Madeleine Fackler, Chief Information Officer, International Rescue Committee
- Brian Graham, Managing Partner and Co-Founder, Klaros Group
- Parker Hudnut, CEO, ICEF Public Schools
- Yun-Fang Juan, Owner & Chef, Zumplings
- Mickey Konson, President, Co-Founder, StreetShares
- Jim Koshland (Vice Chair & Secretary), DLA Piper, Principal (Retired)
- Juanita Lott, Investment Partner, Portfolia
- Diana Taylor, Chair, Accion Board of Directors
- Luz Urrutia, CEO, Opportunity Fund
- Eric Weaver, Founder and Senior Advisor, Opportunity Fund
- Michael Schlein, President and CEO, Accion
- Lata Krishnan, CFO, Shah Capital Partners
New Markets Tax Credits
We invest in community service focused projects with the potential to transform low-income communities. These projects are typically located in “targeted distress” (very low-income) census tracts where the poverty rate is 20% or higher, or the median family income is below 80% of the poverty line.
Our Small Business Impact Fund is the country’s largest small business impact fund that directly provides loans to underserved small business owners –– primarily minority and women-owned businesses in low-income communities.
In loans for small businesses
Created or sustained
Generated in annual economic activity
Work With Us
Would you like to spend your working day committed to making a difference in the lives of hard-working people in and around your community? If you share our commitment to social change, our entrepreneurial spirit, and our focus on results, please apply.